Tuesday 10 August 2010

Yeraz (Dream): performed by Khatchatur I. Pilikian (vocals) and Sona Kupelian (piano)

Khatchatur Pilikian was kind enough to send me details of how he learned this beautiful and haunting song from his mother and has thoughtfully included a translation into English which I give below:


THE DREAM

Poem by Smpad Shahaziz (1840-1897)

Translated by Zabelle Boyajian (b.Diarbekir,1872- d. Londong, 1957)

Soft and low a voice breathed o'er me,
Near me did my mother seem;
Flashed a ray of joy before me,
But, alas, it was a dream!

There the murmuring streamlet flowing
Scattered radiant pearls around,
Pure and clear, like crystal glowing-
But it was a dream, unsound.

To her heart she pressed me yearning,
Wiped my eyes which wet did seem;
And her tears fell on me burning-
Why should it have been a dream?

Khatchatur recorded the song in February 1985 in Beirut as one of the very moving ballads in his vocal recital entitled Fifteen Centuries of Armenian Song.

If you wish to enjoy his wonderfully evocative rendition, please click here and use your Browser's Back button to return to this page.

No comments: