Sunday 30 September 2007

US STATE DEPARTMENT REGULAR NEWS BRIEFING

SEPTEMBER 27, 2007
SPEAKER: STATE DEPARTMENT DEPUTY SPOKESMAN TOM H. CASEY
[parts omitted]

QUESTION: Fearing an imminent vote on the Armenian genocide resolution H.R. 106, Turkish multimillion dollar lobbyists here in Washington D.C., have solicited the assistance of former secretaries of state, namely James Baker, Warren Christopher, Lawrence Eagleburger, Alexander Haig, Henry Kissinger, Colin Powell and George Shultz, asking Speaker Nancy Pelosi, to "prevent the resolution from reaching the House,". Any comment? And clarify your position.

CASEY: The U.S. position on the events of the beginning of the last century is unchanged. You can look at our annual statements on that. And I would refer you to that language; it's very specifically crafted, and I don't have it in my head right now, so I wouldn't want to mislead anybody.

In terms of what former secretaries of state may or may not have done by way of action on this issue, I'd, frankly refer you to them. They are private citizens. [!!!] And I assume if they made representation to Speaker Pelosi on this, they did so because they believed it was the right thing to do.

QUESTION: And your position?

CASEY: U.S. position on this issue has not changed. Again, I'd refer you back to our previous statements on it.

OK. Thanks, guys.

No comments: