Wednesday 15 June 2016

PETITION ... PETER CHAMBER


From Peter Chamber
Subject: Petition


Hi, I'm trying to get signatures for a petition I have started to put pressure on our government to officially recognise the genocide. Any help you could give me would be gratefully recieved.

https://www.change.org/p/john-whittingdale-make-our-government-acknowledge-armenian-genocide/dashboard


I don't have any direct contact with Armenians as such. I have just returned from a trip to the Caucasus and was particularly moved and affected by my time in Armenia, the people were so open, warm and friendly.

More than one friend I made there stressed that I should visit Tsitsernakaberd. It was a difficult and profound experience. Obviously the whatever I felt there is only a drop in the ocean compared to what an Armenian must experience and it was hard to see so many people at the memorial and inside the museum suffering so deeply.
On my return to the UK I was informed that Germany had officially recognised the genocide. It seems to me that the in the light of that it would be increasingly difficult for our government to defend its stance or lack of one. Somehow the issue needs to be brought to the fore so that  the powers that be will, at the very least,  have to publicly explain their current position.
That is why I started the petition, I felt like I couldn't sit back and do nothing and I wasn't sure what other course of action was available to me. Any contacts, help or information you could give me would be gratefully recieved.

Many thanks
Pete

No comments: