Monday 28 July 2014

THE ARMENIAN WEEKLY - Monday 28th July 2014


Monday, July 28, 2014
Recent Articles from The Armenian Weekly...
 
My Friend Abo Won a Grammy
How many people can say that they have a friend who has a won a Grammy?
My friend Abraham Gumroyan, or Abo, won the award for Best Tropical Album at this year’s Grammys, as a member of the Pacific Mambo Orchestra.
Abraham Gumroyan
Abraham Gumroyan
Most members of our community, however, have probably not heard his name, because even though Abo is very vocal about topics ranging from Armenian politics to life in the diaspora, he is not the kind of a guy who will walk down the street announcing that he just won a Grammy. So I, as a proud friend, am doing it for him.
I first met Abo at an Armenian festival at Oakland’s St. Vartan Armenian Church. At that time, I was a student at Berkeley and he was finishing his studies at the San Francisco Conservatory. While dancingshalakho to the tunes of Harout Pamboukjian, I could not tell that this guy, who was dancing and pouring his heart and soul on the dance floor, was a classically trained bassist who had toured the world with everyone from Luciano...
        
 
IRFW, Strassler Center to Identify and Honor Muslim Rescuers of Armenians
‘This is an unchartered territory waiting to be discovered.’ – Eduardo Eurnekian
The International Raoul Wallenberg Foundation (IRWF) and the Kaloosdian/Mugar Chair at the Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Clark University join forces in a major research effort under the supervision of Prof. Taner Akcam.
Eduardo Eurnekian, the chairman of the IRWF, announced the ambitious research project that aims to identify Turks and Kurds that reached out to the victims of the Armenian Genocide. “The main mission of the IRWF is to unveil untold stories of rescue and solidarity,” he said. “The issue of the Muslim rescuers who went out of their way to save Armenians at the beginning of the 20th century was not properly studied yet. This is an unchartered territory waiting to be discovered.”
“It is a great honor to join forces with Prof. Taner Akcam and his chair at the Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Clark University in an attempt to...
        
 
AYF-YOARF Interns Write from Armenia
The following articles are written by AYF-YOARF interns currently in Armenia.
***
Home
By Ani Sarajian
So this is my first blog post. I’ve never blogged, but I’m going to try to make all of you feel the love I have for being in Armenia, even though I’ve only been here for a week and a half.
Ani Sarajian (left) in Gogaran
Ani Sarajian (left) in Gogaran
Where do I even begin to describe what an amazing and exciting adventure this has been for me so far? I guess the first thing I should discuss is how hard it hit me that I’m finally in Armenia. When I drove extremely close to Mt. Ararat I had the most breathtaking realization. I’m not lying. I grabbed my friend’s hand and gasped because I was so taken aback at the beauty of it.
I thought that being in Armenia for the first time, let alone living and working 5,000 miles from my home in New Jersey, was going to be slightly intimidating at first. However, I find that I’m not intimidated at all by being here; I feel at home, I feel completely...
        
 
ArmenBar Makes Bold Plans for the Future
“We have an unrelenting commitment to our common heritage. So, too, are we united in our mission of service and in our vision of justice. And thus, the Armenian Bar Association(ArmenBar) is not your typical professional lawyers’ and judges’ organization,” said Armen K. Hovannisian, the newly elected chairman of ArmenBar at their 25th annual national meeting held in New York City recently.
Armen K. Hovannisian
Armen K. Hovannisian
“Our organization is a bridge between the legal profession and the needs and aspirations of the Armenian nation. Our desire is to bring the rule of law and the respect of rights to all our communities,” he said proudly in a telephone conversation with this writer. “It is my blood line that defines, drives, and motivates me, not merely my profession. We see and feel ourselves as Armenians who also are legal professionals,” he repeated again with emphasis.
Born in Fresno, Calif., Hovannisian, now 51, moved with his family to Los Angeles at a young age, and...
        
 
Keeping in Step with Dance Recitals
I committed the ultimate social blunder the other day at my granddaughter’s dance recital.
Just as she appeared on stage for one of her “dazzling” performances, I jumped from my seat and began taking photographs.
I didn’t sit back down until the number ended three minutes later, hoping to get that shot of a lifetime.
I would have remained seated had the patron in front of me been a child. This guy was six feet tall and just as wide. Why he chose that spot was my albatross. One seat over would have been a better choice. Had he moved the other way, he would have blocked my wife’s view.
As protocol has it at these exhibitions, they discourage an all-out stampede in the aisles from amateur shutterbugs. I’ve seen it get downright nasty. It’s worse than a paparazzi blitz at the Academy Awards.
It never used to be that way, back when my daughter hit the stage. She was about 4 at the time and was set to dance a Yankee Doodle Dandy number. Sonya looked like a patriotic American...
        
 
St. Gregory’s to Host Champagne and Chanel Luncheon
St. Gregory’s Armenian Church of Philadelphia is hard at work organizing a truly original event sure to be enjoyed by all attending. On Sun., Sept. 21, at 2 p.m., a “Designer Bag Bingo” luncheon will be held at St. Gregory’s Founders’ Hall.  Fifteen lucky women will win designer bags, including top labels Gucci, Prada, Fendi, Laboutin, Judith Leiber, and Chanel.
The talented and devoted women on the committee are Silva Santerian and Maryann Karagelian, co-chairs, with Lisa Ajdaharian, Celeste Ayjian, Mari Degirmenci, Cissy DerHagopian, Margaret Garabedian, Jeanine Hovsepian, Dorothy Hanamirian, Mary Harper, Dori Keshgegian, Amanda Megerian, Lori Sarkisian, Sona Selverian, Tanya Selverian, Cookie Vosbikian, Linda S. Vosbikian, and Donna Walter.
Join them on Sept. 21 for a fun game of Bingo, try your chance at the Chinese auction, and enjoy the lavish Chanel-inspired theme and décor, along with champagne, hors d’oeuvres, and desserts that are sure to impress.
Ticket sales...
        
 
The Child of a Refugee
By Siran Seza
The following story was written by Siran Seza in April 1946. Seza was the penname of Siranoush Zarifian, a Lebanese-Armenian writer born in Constantinople in 1903. She is best known for founding the Beirut-based feminist journal The Young Armenian Woman (Երիտասարդ Հայուհի)in 1932.
Siran Seza, a portrait
Siran Seza, a portrait
After attending Armenian, French and American schools as a child, Seza graduated from the American College for Girls in Constantinople in 1919. Her grasp of English allowed her to continue her education in the United States. She moved to New York in the late 1920’s to pursue a master’s degree in literature and journalism at Columbia University. After graduating in 1931, she settled in Beirut where she established herself as a leader in the Lebanese-Armenian intellectual community until her death in 1973.
Her greatest contribution to this intellectual community wasThe Young ArmenianWoman, a journal that she edited through its entire run from 1932-34...
        

 

www.hairenik.com | www.armenianweekly.com | www.hairenikweekly.com
80 Bigelow Avenue, Watertown MA 02472
 
Subscribe to our list - Unsubscribe from this list - Forward to a friend
 
© Copyright Hairenik Association Inc. 2013
 



Email subscriptions powered by FeedBlitz, LLC, 365 Boston Post Rd, Suite 123, Sudbury, MA 01776, USA.

 

No comments: